It's fall! Which means soup season! There is nothing better than curling up with a warm bowl of soup on a chilly fall evening. These are my favorite soup recipes. Everything is pretty simple to make so they are perfect for you busy parents!
We're starting with the basics! This is my go to for cold and flu season. I make it in bulk and freeze it to have on hand to add to soup or just to drink at the first sign of an illness. I swear by this vegetable stock!
- 1 large onion
- 4 Carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 5 gloves garlic
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- fresh thyme
- cayenne pepper
- Start by sautéing the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until onions are translucent in olive oil
- Add the rest of the produce minus the kale and thyme and let carrots soften up a bit
- Add 6 quarts of water
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes
- Add kale and thyme and a little bit of cayenne pepper
- Cover up and turn off heat and let sit for 10 minutes
- Strain into heat safe storage jars
Chicken Noodle Soup
This is perfect for cold and flu season and a great way to use that vegetable stock we just made!
- 2 Chicken breast
- 4 Cups Chicken or vegetable stock
- 2-3 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- Bay Leaf
- Egg Noodles
- Add two chicken breasts to a crock pot. Add salt, pepper and basil according to tastes and set on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours
- Shred chicken Breasts
- Add shredded chicken, carrots, celery and bay leaf to a pot with chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Once carrots have softened a bit add egg noodles and cook until soft
This recipe will taste even better than the soup from olive garden and it's so easy to make!
- Vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 lb ground Italian Sausage
- Red Potatoes
- Heavy Cream
- Brown Italian Sausage and in a soup pot
- Add 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Dice as many red potatoes as you want. I usually just eyeball it
- Add potatoes to broth and Italian Sausage and cook until potatoes are soft
- Chop kale. Again, as much or as little as you want
- Add 1/4 cup heavy cream and kale. Simmer until kale is wilted
Who doesn't love a hearty cup of chili?! I know I do!
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 3 gloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Black Pepper
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans
- shredded cheddar, sour cream for serving
- In a large pan heat olive oil and cook onion until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add tomato paste and stir. Add ground beef a brown.
- Add seasonings. Pour in diced tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes
- Ladle chili into bowls and top with cheese and sour cream
I hope you enjoy these soup recipes as much as we do! Happy fall!